The Book Thread! What are you reading?

General Chat area

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Postby erilaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Just finished reading Geschichte der ausgestorbenen alten friesischen oder sächsischen Sprache, a facsimile reprint of Tileman Dothias Wiarda's history of the Old Frisian language, originally published in 1784. I love reading books printed in Fraktur. XD
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I just finished reading The Runes and Other Magical Alphabets by Michael A. Howard.

Wow. Just, wow.

From the title and the publisher (The Aquarian Press), I knew that it would be good for some laughs, but I was totally unprepared for the enormity of the factual errors in this book.

I'm reminded of Helmut Arntz's capsule review of The Runes, Whence Came They by George Stephens: "Völlig unberührt von aller Wissenschaft" (completely untouched by all science). Stephens's work at its worst is a model of sober, meticulous scholarship compared to this train wreck.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby Celedam » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:17 am

I finally got around to listening John Cleese's reading of The Screwtape Letters. I definitely need to give it a second, closer reading.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Amped » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 am

Moh wrote:And now I'm on After Dark by Haruki Murakami. :geek:

i got the audio book for that one :geek:
Amped
Priest

Postby erilaz » Wed May 30, 2012 12:53 pm

This morning I started reading Amos David Zubrow's 1978 Stanford University M.A. thesis, Concerning the Interpretation of ProtoNorse erilaR in Runic Inscriptions. It's a subject near and dear to my heart. XD
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Roots and Branches: Selected Papers on Tolkien by Tom Shippey.

I've never heard a more engaging speaker than Professor Shippey, and his book, The Road to Middle-earth, is regarded by many (myself included) to be the single best monograph on Tolkien's work ever. The papers in Roots and Branches definitely encapsulate what Shippey is all about, and I can certainly hear his voice when I read them.

I love his sense of humor, too. Here's an example (from p. 45):
Tolkien might not have gone so far as the author of Gunnlaugs saga Ormstunga (The Saga of Gunnlaug Wormtongue), who declared (in Icelandic) "Ein var þá tunga á Englandi sem í Noregi ok í Danmörku. En þá skiptust tungur í Englandi, er Vilhjalmr bastarðr vann England" ['there was then one tongue in England as in Norway and in Denmark. But then the tongues in England shifted when William the Conqueror — note that 'Conqueror' is not quite an exact translation of the Icelandic — won England']....
erilaz

Postby Bakajo Nono » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm

I finally finished Battle Royale. @_@ What a ride. Dat ending.

I don't care to read The Hunger Games now xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby erilaz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

The Japanese and the Lost Tribes of Israel by Joseph Eidelberg.

Here's a taste of Eidelberg's mishegoss: http://www.moshiach.com/tribes/japan4.html

XD
erilaz

Postby Moh » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 am

The last thing I read was Darkly Dreaming Dexter. :lol: Too bad they don't carry the rest of the books here, I really liked that one.
I also tried to read The Hunger Games, but the first person writing just made it unbearable for me. I'll watch the movie instead.
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I just finished reading Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman (a.k.a. Dr. Frank of the Mr. T Experience, a Berkeley punk band).

Cover blurb:
Andromeda Klein has a few problems.

Her hair is kind of horrible.

Her partner-in-occultism, Daisy, is dead.

Her secret, estranged, much older and forbidden boyfriend-in-theory, has gone AWOL.

And her mother has learned how to text.

In short, things couldn't get much worse. Until they do. Daisy seems to be attempting to make contact from beyond, books are starting to disappear from the library, and then, strangely and suddenly, Andromeda's tarot readings are beginning to predict events with bizarrely literal accuracy.

Omens are everywhere. Dreams; swords; fires; hidden cards; lost, broken, and dead cell phones . . . and what is Daisy trying to tell her?

In the ensuing struggle of neutral versus evil, it's Andromeda Klein against the world, modern society, demonic forces, and the "friends" of the library.

It's a very enjoyable book, a "young adult" novel for young adults with brains. I appreciated the fact that Dr. Frank did a lot of research about actual occult traditions, rather than just making up a lot of "fakus Latinus" Harry Potterish mumbo-jumbo. I like fantastic literature with a good historical anchor, so I'll get more pleasure from a reference to a work like Meric Casaubon's A True and Faithful Relation... (familiar to me but not to the general populace, I would imagine) than a reference to some fictional work by Gilderoy Lockhart, however humorous the title. It's the same kind of feeling as getting an inside joke -- and Portman also has a few of those that made me laugh out loud. Finally, if I can have those sorts of "I see what you did there" moments and also gain some knowledge along the way (such as the fact that Aleister Crowley's name rhymes with holy rather than foully), then so much the better!
erilaz

Postby Bakajo Nono » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:03 pm

Just read Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns).

Quite good. She's a hilarious writer.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby questorminator » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:14 am

Bakajo Nono wrote:I finally finished Battle Royale. @_@ What a ride. Dat ending.

I don't care to read The Hunger Games now xD

Me too. It was so much better than the movie (although I liked Beat Takeshi in it) but I still used the face of the actors while I was picturing the scenes in my mind.

Too bad the author said he's done with Battle Royale. It could do with a proper sequel, if only to remove Battle Royale: Requiem from my consciousness. :P

Currently reading The Yamato Dynasty. Next in line is probably that book about Blackwater that I saw in the book store.
questorminator
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby erilaz » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:33 am

Right now I'm reading Lafcadio Hearn's Japan: An Attempt at Interpretation (1904). Interesting stuff. Hearn's thesis, in a nutshell, is that the Japanese are the way they are because of ancestor worship. From the thought processes of the Japanese people to the peculiarities of their social institutions, right down to the alacrity with which they obeyed the Meiji Emperor's command to modernize and industrialize, all these things have their roots in the ancestor worship at the heart of Shintō. And despite the enormous changes that Japanese society has undergone in the century since this book was written, a lot of what Hearn writes still has relevance.
erilaz

Postby Moh » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:05 pm

I recently read Coma and Marker, both by Robin Cook. Marker was okay, but I loved Coma. I didn't realize just how old it was until I saw checkout dates from 1978. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Postby questorminator » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:55 am

erilaz wrote:Right now I'm reading Lafcadio Hearn's Japan: An Attempt at Interpretation (1904). Interesting stuff. Hearn's thesis, in a nutshell, is that the Japanese are the way they are because of ancestor worship. From the thought processes of the Japanese people to the peculiarities of their social institutions, right down to the alacrity with which they obeyed the Meiji Emperor's command to modernize and industrialize, all these things have their roots in the ancestor worship at the heart of Shintō. And despite the enormous changes that Japanese society has undergone in the century since this book was written, a lot of what Hearn writes still has relevance.

Now this is interesting. I've always been interested at the unique way of thinking the Japanese have. Not only because I love the culture but also of the many issues that surround them and how they respond to those issues like Yasukuni Shrine, Historical Revisionism and their stubborn refusal to admit that they made mistakes in the past. Maybe this book has the answer. But I think I might have to order from the net. I doubt this is available in my country.

Do you know any material that talks about the Japanese Imperial Family or life inside the Imperial Palace? I love those sorts of stuff. Not the gossipy kind, but the real, factual stuff. Unfortunately the Imperial Household Agency isn't exactly the most open of organizations. But hey, I might get lucky.
questorminator
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:58 pm

questorminator wrote:But I think I might have to order from the net. I doubt this is available in my country.

It's old enough to be in the public domain, so it's easy to find free (and legal) online versions, such as this one on Google Books: http://books.google.com/books/about/Jap ... 0eAAAAMAAJ

But if you want a physical book, yeah, you may have to order it somewhere online. I was lucky enough to find a reasonably priced 1904 second printing at a used bookstore in my neighborhood.

questorminator wrote:Do you know any material that talks about the Japanese Imperial Family or life inside the Imperial Palace? I love those sorts of stuff. Not the gossipy kind, but the real, factual stuff.

The only really relevant thing that turned up when I searched on amazon.com was this: http://www.amazon.com/The-Yamato-Dynast ... 767904974/ — but the customer reviews aren't too positive.
erilaz

Postby questorminator » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:25 pm

Ah the Yamato Dynasty. I have a copy as well as that one about Princess Masako.

Yeah, I've read the reviews. It's really unfair seeing as the things he exposes are pretty much what you'll read in other articles about the Japanese Imperial Family. Why some readers claim that they are all conspiracy theories is beyond me. Some might sound wild to you but others? I mean, it's not exactly a secret here in the Philippines that the Japanese stocked gold somewhere here. Whether that gold was ours or other country's is unknown.

It also provided interesting insight on the power play behind the curtains in Japan's government. Do people really think the Emperor holds any authority in his own country? Respect, yes. Authority? No.

Well I guess that'll be as close as I can get to learning stuff about them.
questorminator
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:11 pm

Right now I'm killing two birds with one stone by reading Baldur Ragnarsson's Esperanto translation of Snorri Sturluson's Edda, our most important primary source of information about Norse mythology.
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Right now I'm reading Norse Inscriptions on American Stones by Olaf Strandwold, published in 1948. I'm a sucker for crackpot runology.* It's quite entertaining to see how Strandwold tries to interpret all sorts of random scratches on stones found in North America as runic inscriptions carved by Norsemen, especially followers of Leif Eriksson at the beginning of the 11th century. In one 26-character inscription, Strandwold interprets four distinctly different characters as all having the value A, and his system of runic numerals is even more preposterous. Only two of the American inscriptions that Strandwold includes in his book really look like they were written in runes: one is the famous Kensington Stone, which is generally regarded as a hoax by runologists and linguists, and the other is the Leif Eriksson monument from Nomans Land Island, Massachusetts, the discoverer of which admitted that it was a forgery in 1970.

*Such a sucker that the most expensive book I've ever bought is George Stephens's copy of Finn Magnusen's Runamo og Runerne from 1841, in which the author interpreted an ancient runic inscription on a rock in Blekinge, Sweden, as a poem about the legendary Battle of Brávellir. A few years later it was proven that the "runes" were nothing more than natural cracks in the rock. XD
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Feed by M. T. Anderson — It's a satirical YA sci-fi novel about some teenagers in a future America where people get feeds of information, shows, games, chat, and advertising through a chip implanted in their brain in infancy. In other words, it's set in the not-too-distant future.
erilaz

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: Karaoke Bar