Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby Zunu » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:56 am

No, not really. It's very inefficient, it's mostly just an appeal to vanity, and the opportunity costs negate whatever good those accumulated donations might do

In many cases that's true but as a blanket rule it is not. Especially when it comes to money, people are not always efficient actors. There are large numbers of people who are more spur of the moment and don't spend their money efficiently or wisely even when it comes to their own health and welfare. Your responses seem to indicate that for you there is one right way to donate and everything else is a complete waste of time. That's great, for you. But if AH has a plan to get friends and acquaintances who might otherwise not contribute to join in the relief effort, it can be effective even if it's inefficient. 100 people go to a charity dance with $20 tickets. Let's assume it's super inefficient and only 20% ends up in Houston. That's $400, a nice sum. Meanwhile 100 people got to party, have fun, and give to something that they probably would not have given to. (Or just as likely, they already gave in a manner that you would condone, but saw the dance as a nice way to give a little bit more.)

Large charities themselves recognize that they have to appeal to people in inefficient ways in order to achieve maximal results. I contribute to several large charities every year. My pattern is the same each time. When it comes time for me to re-up, I think about how much I want to give to that charity and then contribute a specific amount to cover for the entire year. Barring perhaps some major disaster like Harvey, that is all they're going to get from me that year, no matter what. Yet, throughout the year, almost all of my regular charities will annoyingly send me multiple solicitations for multiple various supplemental contributions. Sometimes over a dozen throughout the year. I always throw them out, they're a complete "inefficient" waste of paper and money in my case. I wish there were a box to check where I could just tell them to not mail me anything but my annual membership request. Why do they engage in this supposedly inefficient behavior? Why do they keep sending calendars, and address labels, and promises of plush teddy bears? Because there are lots of people not named Zunu who will be guilt-tripped by repeated in-their-face exhortations in a way that they won't if they are just reminded by a single efficient letter every year. Just as there are plenty of people who give to beggars in the street instead of to more efficient aid programs. There are people who will forget to contribute to hurricane relief if there's just a dispassionate weblink, but will suddenly remember if a pretty, dark-haired woman with eyeglasses and a nice smile comes up to them with a tin can.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby esm » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:23 am

Not really relevant, but once you keep being pestered by the same homeless people in your neighborhood, you start feeling less nice. I've been pestered by some of the same people, and I had to start walking away rather than engaging in even a second of conversation with them because it'd always wind up in a new reason why they need money RIGHT NOW. At the end of the day, I can't financially support another human being. One woman would follow me around to the point that I'd take a different route around my neighborhood, although I haven't seen her around in half a year.

But then I've read up on effective altruism and make monthly and quarterly donations to charities I've already chosen years ago. At this point it's just like another bill I pay, and I don't feel anything warm and fuzzy about it. So I'm not so much about emotional appeals when it comes to donations.

If you want to be maximally rational about donating to charity, you'd donate to those working with people in third world countries that have proven themselves to be efficient charities with data. One dollar goes further in improving quality of life there. You want to donate to Harvey because it's your country rather than strangers in a foreign land, and that's completely fine because it's your money so do whatever with it.

It's fine if people want to donate to feel good about donating. It's better for the recipients to get something rather than nothing anyway.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 am

A friend posted this on FB - it looks like it has some pretty good links: Texas Monthly - Here Are Ways You Can Help People During Hurricane Harvey.

Spoiler: show
I don't know the best way to help people/contribute/do any good in the world. Maybe we all have to find our own ways, and maybe it's always a gamble. There are times when I'll give a few $ to someone, knowing that they're likely to spend it alcohol or drugs, simply because I've been there, and I know that going through any kind of withdrawls at 3:00 AM in an alley somewhere can't be good or healthy.
On my way to the alcohol recovery group I used to go to, I'd see a panhandler on the freeway offramp with a sign that said "Hell, why lie? I need a beer!" - and I's always give him a dollar. I figured he'd quit if and when he was ready to quit, and in the meantime, a dollar was probably better than a slap in the face and a sermon.
The world's an imperfect place, and sometimes, the imperfect things we do are enough.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 pm

One of the people running to be elected Sheriff of my city came to my house yesterday and dropped off his brochure. I didn't even know we were electing a sheriff this year. After he left I tried to do some research on the election to see who else might be running, and I could find literally nothing online. Not one mention of there even being an election, let alone who the candidates are, even on official local government/establishment websites.

I can find out the most inane facts about nonsense topics in seconds - but something I actually need to learn about is nowhere to be found. Get it together, city. Geez.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby esm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:03 am

I'm a big fan of non-dairy milk replacement products like soy milk*, hemp milk**, etc. In fact, I don't like cow's milk at all. Never have. My parents made me drink it growing up so I did drink a lot of milk as a kid.

But I haven't found non-dairy yogurt that I actually like. I've tried soy yogurt, almond yogurt, and cashew yogurt (over granola or cereal). Each time I'd just eat it down unhappily, and I'm usually not a picky eater at all. And I usually love yogurt. I'm okay consuming dairy in small quantities, so I might just stick to dairy yogurt.

* - I'm Asian so I know -- the "real" soy milk we make in Asia is far, far superior in taste... but I'm talking about the milk-replacement type soy milk.
** - Amazing in coffee. You don't even need to add sugar and somehow it brings out some sort of sweetness in the coffee even when you buy unsweetened hemp milk. It's crazy.
esm
Devotee

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:34 am

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:I can find out the most inane facts about nonsense topics in seconds - but something I actually need to learn about is nowhere to be found. Get it together, city. Geez.

Is the Sheriff a city office where you live? Here in California, it's a county office.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 am

^^ Hemp milk??? That's a thing?

Anyway, makes me think of rope-flavored milk. But eating rope makes me think of sugar cane which has those ropey strands in it. And sugar cane is sweet. QED. :geek:
Zunu
Pantaloon

Chewed through that quickly when they tied me down

Postby esm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:43 am

I wouldn't even know what rope tastes like.

edit: Btw, I'm going to a Cirque du Soleil show this weekend. :yahoo:
esm
Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:33 am

For some reason, I can kind of remember what dirty shoelaces taste like (from when I was a little kid, I think), but that's not quite the same as rope. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Zunu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 am

"For some reason" XD

I don't even need to tell y'all that dirty laces taste better than clean. Suck suck gnaw gnaw gnaw.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:24 am

I think we need a "chewing on dirty shoelaces" smiley. :mikihead:
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:14 pm

erilaz wrote:
Nayoko-Kihara wrote:I can find out the most inane facts about nonsense topics in seconds - but something I actually need to learn about is nowhere to be found. Get it together, city. Geez.

Is the Sheriff a city office where you live? Here in California, it's a county office.
Yeah, it's a city position here. My city isn't part of a county.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:39 pm

^ Ah, okay. We don't have any cities like that in California, but I was recently in St. Louis, Missouri, which (confusingly enough) isn't part of St. Louis County.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm

I think San Francisco is the only (kind of) exception - it's a city + county, with a hybrid government (mayor, board of supervisonrs, police chief, and sheriff).
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:35 pm

Exactly. It's the only city that is a county (or the only county that is a city) in California, but it is officially both.
erilaz

Postby Zunu » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 pm

NYC is comprised of five counties. E.g. The Borough of "Brooklyn" is actually a county called Kings County. Each county has a sheriff position but the sheriff is part of the city government, not the state.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby erilaz » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm

I find it interesting that Tokyo doesn't exist officially as a city. The 23 Special Wards (which occupy what was Tokyo City until 1943) each have their own separate municipal governments, but above them is the government of the Tokyo Metropolitan Prefecture, which consists not only of the 23 Special Wards, but also the various suburban municipalities (such as Hachiōji, Mitaka, and Tama) that make up the western half of the prefecture.

In other news, the Soft Boys' "I Wanna Destroy You" is in a commercial for the Subway Footlong Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki sandwich. Say what huh? :blink:
erilaz

Postby Starra » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:56 am

I don't even live in a city anymore :fear:. It's definitely a town. Also, it used to be called Beavertown, because it would flood a lot and early settlers said they felt like stranded beavers. We don't even have beavers here.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Moh » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:22 am

Hurricane Irma is now a category 5. So far, most of the tracks show it headed straight toward Florida.
I'm trying to not be worried, but Florida is about due for a Big One. :unsure:
Moh
Prophet

Postby Shoujo Q » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:40 am

And as that one starts its way towards land, Jose has appeared and looks like it could come towards the US if it stays on course. There's also something brewing in the Gulf. I've been monitoring the weather for the past week because my mothers been panicking about Irma coming towards us on the 12th when we are at the airport and the flight getting cancelled and then we miss our boat in Spain. She's easily panicked like that.
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project