Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby boinsie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:01 am

Seconded. Registry errors are absolutely fixable, ESPECIALLY so by a person at a computer shop.
The fact that the guy at the shop is telling you that there's nothing you can do to fix it tells me that either they don't know what they're talking about, or they're unscrupulously trying to sell you a new machine even though yours has many options left.
boinsie
Guru

Postby resop2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:02 am

torchsnow wrote:
resop2 wrote:other than getting a new PC I am out of luck.

What the hell? I probably could fix that error in 15 seconds if I could take a look at the registry.

Even if you don't know shit about computers, Windows has a fuckton of tools to fix itself, not to mention all of the 3rd party utilities.

You could even just reinstall Windows which fixes everything automatically for you, or even better, just install the latest version of Windows 10. And for God's sake, stop using an antivirus in 2017*. Windows already is extremely fucking annoying with its own one, you don't need more of that crap to ruin your system even more.

* I'd say you should have *never* used a fucking mountain of crap like an antivirus, even 50 years ago, but *especially* nowadays...

Or, you could brick my computer in 15 seconds if you messed with the registry. I could also allow the folks who cold call you and claim that your computer has a virus and claim that they are from Microsoft to look at my computer.

Windows does not have any tools to fix a messed up registry, nor are there any third party tools.

Reinstalling windows destroys EVERYTHING on my hard drive. That's a lot of hassle.

Installing Windows 10? ROTFLMAO. Any other malware you would recommend?

Refreshing windows is and option, but I would have to reinstall dozens of expensive programs.

Not using AVG antivirus in 2017 is something that I would agree with. It waits until your "free trail" is two days from expiring and then trashes your system.
Last edited by resop2 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby torchsnow » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 am

resop2 wrote:Or, you could brick my computer in 15 seconds if you messed with the registry. I could also allow the folks with Indian accents who claim that they are from Microsoft to look at my computer.

More crap here.

Yeah, regular computers can be bricked by fucking up an OS installation, and Windows doesn't have any tools to repair itself and you can't re-install it or upgrade it without destroying everything on your hard drive, and Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 10 (and you're also a racist, by the way...)

People like you really deserve the shops they go to...
Last edited by torchsnow on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
torchsnow
Senior Initiate

Postby Celedam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 am

^ Two things…

First, you might want to fix your quote blocks.

Second, when you say "racist", I assume you're referring to this…

resop2 wrote:I could also allow the folks with Indian accents who claim that they are from Microsoft to look at my computer.

What's racist about that? It's a well known scam that's been running for years…

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Is the Guardian racist, too?

I'm not endorsing nor excusing resop2's belligerence, but let's be fair. He might not have the same level of expertise that some of the rest of us do, and it doesn't help anyone to belittle him for that. It can be very frustrating to have everyone tell you "Oh, that's easy!", especially when you're already frustrated by the problem itself. Furthermore, telling him that you can fix it doesn't actually tell him how to fix it, unless you plan to visit him in New York sometime soon.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:26 am

torchsnow wrote:
resop2 wrote:
torchsnow wrote:
resop2 wrote:other than getting a new PC I am out of luck.
Or, you could brick my computer in 15 seconds if you messed with the registry. I could also allow the folks with Indian accents who claim that they are from Microsoft to look at my computer.

More crap here.

Yeah, regular computers can be bricked by fucking up an OS installation, and Windows doesn't have any tools to repair itself and you can't re-install it or upgrade it without destroying everything on your hard drive, and Windows 8.1 is better than Windows 10 (and you're also a racist, by the way...)

People like you really deserve the shops they go to...

If you have some thing constructive and specific to suggest for my problem I am open to hear it. So far you've offered nothing but shade, insults, and condensation.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby resop2 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:29 am

Celedam wrote:I'm not endorsing nor excusing resop2's belligerence, but let's be fair. He might not have the same level of expertise that some of the rest of us do, and it doesn't help anyone to belittle him for that.

Ha ha ha, that's really funny! (Or, at least I hope that is a joke, I can never tell when you are joking.)
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Celedam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:32 am

Okay, I tried. You're on your own.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby boinsie » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:47 am

What's racist about that? It's a well known scam that's been running for years…

I mean, somewhat? No one from Microsoft should ever be cold-calling calling you re:your ISP/viruses, regardless of accent. It's the script that's more of the tipoff than the accent, especially given how many call centers are located in India that might be calling you for valid reasons. Maybe it's not racist to bring that up, but it's a red herring at best and definitely was never a descriptor I used for this scam when I worked in computer repair.

resop2 wrote:Reinstalling windows destroys EVERYTHING on my hard drive. That's a lot of hassle.

Refreshing windows is and option, but I would have to reinstall dozens of expensive programs.

If you buy a new PC you'll still have to reinstall all the programs and transfer over the data, but you'll be stuck with Windows 10 (which it sounds like you don't want) or have a very small selection of machines to make your choice of a new PC from (fine, but sub-ideal, especially since I remember how long and hard you searched for this one).

Anyway, I can PM you a few possible solutions, but they all involve manually fixing your registry so if you're dead-set against that, it's system restore/buy a new computer time.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Celedam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:22 am

boinsie wrote:
Celedam wrote:What's racist about that? It's a well known scam that's been running for years…

I mean, somewhat? No one from Microsoft should ever be cold-calling calling you re:your ISP/viruses, regardless of accent. It's the script that's more of the tipoff than the accent, especially given how many call centers are located in India that might be calling you for valid reasons. Maybe it's not racist to bring that up, but it's a red herring at best and definitely was never a descriptor I used for this scam when I worked in computer repair.

That's a fair point, but I think you're being overly cautious and/or sensitive. It's not racist to observe that the scam is typically run out of Indian call centers. It's a statement of fact. Indeed, running the scam out of Indian call centers gives it more credibility because so much technical support has been outsourced to Indian call centers. You just said so yourself. If someone with a Russian or Chinese accent called and read the same script, almost everyone would hang up immediately. Is that racist too? And even if it is, is that necessarily bad?

Furthermore, you're still taking some knowledge for granted. Many people simply don't know enough to recognize the script and what's wrong with it. You can certainly try to sit them down and explain it to them, but… *shrug*
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 am

Randomly random:

The truth is that there's really no substitute for getting under the hood and dealing with software and operating systems at least on the lightweight nuts-and-bolts level -- if you don't, you're likely to be at a major disadvantage in far too many ways. In a lot of ways, making changes to the registry is more like parallel parking than it is like changing the brake pads on a car -- it's something that you may not want to do, but it's good to know how to do it.

The really dangerous scammers are often the ones who are good at identifying themselves as part of whatever group(s) you identify with -- religious, political, ethnic, or even fandoms. They're the ones who can get past all of your automatic defenses, because after all, they're "one of us". That kind of identification often operates on such a deep level that it simply bypasses any of the reservations you might have about someone whom you identify as a stranger.

torchsnow wrote:And for God's sake, stop using an antivirus in 2017*. Windows already is extremely fucking annoying with its own one, you don't need more of that crap to ruin your system even more.

This is one of those things that's been rattling around in the back of my head. For a long time, I used third-party firewall and antivirus software, but I switched over to Windows' built-in firewall a few years ago, and after I installed Win 10, I just went Windows' antivirus as well.
It's just so easy to continue to think of a system-level function as something that you need to add on, if that's what it's been - but historically, most operating systems do wind up incorporating what were formerly add-on functions into their core functionality (drivers, communication protocols, font-rendering systems, etc.). They just catch me by surprise sometimes. XD

Very Extremely Important:
For no good reason, I did a Google search for Windows 9 background screens a while ago, and (no surprise) wound up in a rather strange-but-somehow-comfortable alternate reality.

Spoiler: show
I rather like this one - I'm tempted to use it as my standard walpaper.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Bossy Zunu » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:34 am

Thankfully the moment seems to have passed but going forward please avoid making disparaging statements involving nationality, ethnicity, race, gender, sex, or religion. Regardless of whether or not we perceive those statements to be accurate and/or in good faith. There are plenty of other destinations on the internet for those kinds of arguments.
Bossy Zunu
Site Admin

Postby torchsnow » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:01 am

Celedam wrote:First, you might want to fix your quote blocks.

Thanks, I just fixed it.

In any case, my most sincere apologies to everyone who had to read my two previous posts. You may delete them if you need to or want to (or want me to).

EDIT: I forgot to answer this:
Celedam wrote:Furthermore, telling him that you can fix it doesn't actually tell him how to fix it, unless you plan to visit him in New York sometime soon.

I work on a complex open-source application where many times users can't run it due to a fucked up Windows installation... We usually use things like TeamViewer to see what's wrong on their system and fix it if possible. There's no need to travel if their system can start and run Remote Desktop or a similar tool.
torchsnow
Senior Initiate

Postby Celedam » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:43 am

^ Okay, yeah, I know, we do the same thing in my office. I was being somewhat — and maybe inappropriately — facetious while trying to make a broader point about what constitutes real help.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 am

torchsnow wrote:I work on a complex open-source application where many times users can't run it due to a fucked up Windows installation... We usually use things like TeamViewer to see what's wrong on their system and fix it if possible. There's no need to travel if their system can start and run Remote Desktop or a similar tool.

Unfortunately, one of the problems with my system is that if I introduce a new program on my system the OS will not be able to run it unless I am in safe mode. And, if I am in safe mode I will not be connected to the internet. So, remote help cannot be done unless there is a native program that supports this.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby torchsnow » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:02 am

Remote Desktop Connection is native: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... connection

There's also Chrome Remote Desktop which should work if Chrome is already working on your system: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jmpp?hl=en
torchsnow
Senior Initiate

Postby DSQueenie » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 am

Have I told all you guys that I work in TV? Well today I was told I was working on a shoot with some "Japanese trio" and it turned out it was Perfume.

Today was a "I love my job" day~

All my colleagues thought it was a perfume advert until I told them they were called Perfume!
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Minion

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Spot the me. XD
Hint: I'm the most annoying hipster in the audience.

If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby resop2 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:40 am

Progress report: I need to use the computer tomorrow and it can operate as is so I won't be able to do anything until Sunday.

I have done an inventory of programs that I have installed, along with what data has to be saved before I start.

Since the computer not able to:

bring up the task manager
run CMD as an administrator outside of safe mode
run any new program outside of safe mode

I am going to assume that refreshing is out of the question, so I will have to do a reinstall of winblows 8.1 (which I have the ID number written down). My assumption is that if I run some program to fix the registry that the computer will brick so badly that it will BSOD on power up.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Zunu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:01 am

^^ Yappari!
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby resop2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Progress report: I have backed up about 300GB of data over 25,000 files. I have written down such stuff as serial numbers and id's.

Is there other stuff that I should save while my system is still in shape to save it before I potentially BSOD the computer?
resop2
Skeptic

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project