Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby boinsie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:21 am

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:I'm ready for a hard freeze — the box-elder bugs and stink bugs are getting ridiculous here.

We're almost there. Autumn has arrived in force. Sunday was probably the last warm day of the year, and the forecast says we might get that freeze tomorrow night.

That reminds me! I'm not sure when we expect out first freeze, but our house has some slightly established banana trees out front and I'm going to try to preserve them through the winter so they can grow bigger next year! Which means being prepared to cut them down to their highest leaf-bearing point, wrap them, and cover them, ideally before or right after first frost. But I want to let them go for as long as possible! So I'll just keep an eye on the weather forecast...

Back to a few day's ago jury talk: I've never made it out of the jury pool into being personally questioned. One time it was getting close, but then the parties settled out of court before the jury had been fully assembled. I wish we were able to volunteer for jury duty, but I understand why it's not done that way lol.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Moh » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:51 am

boinsie wrote:our house has some slightly established banana trees out front and I'm going to try to preserve them through the winter so they can grow bigger next year!

Good luck! We had a really big one (with Lady Finger bananas on it!), but it ended up getting destroyed during the hurricane. Poor bananas. :(
We have some smaller ones planted that survived, and they seem to be doing okay. When we researched planting them, we found out the plant itself is actually an herb. :?:
Moh
Prophet

Postby esm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:55 am

It was about 45°F and rainy all day. Probably the coldest day in a while. I'm not a fan of the rain. I don't really mind the cold overall, although it does get really windy here (just like Chicago is known for), and that changes things.

Still, when people that don't really know me try to warn me about Chicago winters, I just tell them I lived in Minnesota for 8 years.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 pm

On the flip-side, the weather was very nice here today, but it was 90°F in my kitchen when I got home from work this evening. Urgh.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby esm » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh yeah, the heater in my apartment isn't on yet. It was on yesterday for the first time since spring, but it was actually quite warm so I turned off the radiator. And now the heater isn't on, and it's cold inside.
esm
Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

El Segundo is about a mile from the ocean - I get a great view of the water from my office window. It's a little after 8 p.m. right now, and I was just up on the roof of the parking structure, where it felt like an annealing oven.
I'm more than ready for the frost to be on the pumpkin, but at this point, I think if you set a pumpkin outside, it would spontaneously bake itself into a pie!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Moh » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:40 pm

Florida just got its first "cold" front in over 6 months. I got so used to it being hot and sticky outside, I'm kinda "where did this crisp air come from?"
Aside from being a little breezy, today was really a gorgeous day outside. All our neighbors are going to be bundled up tomorrow. :lol:
We'll warm up for Fri/Sat, but the low on Monday morning is supposed to be 42°F! :w00t:
Moh
Prophet

Postby resop2 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:54 am

I think the sound card in my laptop is going. I at least still have my tablet.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby boinsie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:35 am

One of these should solve your problem, if you're willing to use headphones/external speakers.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Celedam » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:00 am

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:I'm ready for a hard freeze — the box-elder bugs and stink bugs are getting ridiculous here.

We're almost there. Autumn has arrived in force. Sunday was probably the last warm day of the year, and the forecast says we might get that freeze tomorrow night.

I just went out for breakfast and saw snow. Small flakes that aren't sticking, of course, but a respectable flurry nonetheless. I haven't seen snow this early in many, many years. The grass is still green (lots of storms over the past week) and there are still leaves on the trees (there'd be more if not for the storms).

And since it's so cold — the high this afternoon/evening is supposed to be 40℉ (4℃) — many kids will have to wear jackets over their costumes tonight. That's a shame.

For reference, the average high for this time of year is 54℉ (12℃).

At least the bugs are pretty much done for the season. Now I can clean my entryway (i.e., knock down webs outside, sweep and mop inside).
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

Shibuya Halloween Street Party 2017!

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:10 am

Halloween was nice. It was definitely cold, but I live in a neighborhood with lots of schools so there were lots of kids walking outside in costumes. Almost every shop was giving out candy to kids (even the liquor store). This is the first place I've lived at where it feels pretty lively on Halloween and not because of rowdy college kids partying.
esm
Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:18 pm

I was in the office, and didn't get home until about 9:30 - no kids at all - just neighbors putting out their trash cans.

And now I have a huge bag of Palmer Monster Mix (if I'm smart, I'll hide it in the freezer and make it last for a few months, at least), which is about half eyeballs. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:31 pm

So, I arrived at school for my 8:30 class like usual. (I leave the house 6:45, get here ~ 7:50, park, then reach class by about 8.)
I sit down, open my laptop to begin fixing up an essay I have due today... and then I see a message on Facebook. So, like anyone else, I open the message and it's a screenshot of my professor saying "Class for today, 11/2 is cancelled." So I came in early, my next class is at 10 o'clo- WAIT! That one was cancelled as well. So my first class is actually only at 1pm. I can't tell if it's a blessing in disguise because I have so much to catch up on... or if it's just bad luck.
lol
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby resop2 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:03 am

boinsie wrote:One of these should solve your problem, if you're willing to use headphones/external speakers.

I have ordered it, but I fear that my computer might have worse problems since playing a video will also skip frames when sound problems occur. I guess I shouldn't complain, right? After all a PC lasting three years without bricking totally is kind of rare, right? Unfortunately, if the PC does fail I might not have any options to replace it since all new PC's have malware built in.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:25 am

On the subject of old PCs...

I've never really liked proprietary PCs, or all the extra junk that comes with a standard operating system. I put my current PC together from components that I bought at Fry's, and I installed Win 10 on it. Even then, I had to spend some time cleaning it up and changing the settings to make it behave decently.

Since I buy stuff at thrift shops and have noo common sense, I've picked up several older (and very cheap) desktop and laptop PCs (and a couple of Macs). I generally wind up putting some version of Linux on the PCs, and they've occasionally turned out to be useful.

I've noticed a few things:

Some of the PCs are really underpowered - usually an OK processor, but far too little memory for the preinstalled operating system, and a not-so great video card.

Too many of them are overloaded with a ridiculous amount of junk, all of which seems to be set to run on startup. Most if it is unnecessary, takes too long to load, and clogs up the system - and too often, it's the kind of stuff that pops up pointless and annoying warnings every five seconds. I can't believe that anybody managed to do any useful work on some of the PCs I've found, simply because they were so clogged up with crap.

Far, far too many people leave all kinds of personal information on their computers when they sell or donate them - photos, correspondence, work, school, and personal documents, addresses, etc. (Not to mention things like entire iTunes libraries.) It only takes me a few minutes to crack a user password or set up a new admin account on a typical thrift-shop PC or Mac, and I'm just sort of fumbling around with tools and techniques I found online after a quick Google search. :fear:

For all of the above reasons, I usually just wipe the HD and install a fresh OS - even a low-end PC from 15 years ago is reasonably useful with an un-demanding Linux distribution (or even 32-bit Win 7) and enough memory. And occasionally, I even manage to do something useful with one of them. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:34 am

Proxy bidding is such a pain in the ass.

FromJapan wrote:Due to the keyword "サボテン (Cactus)" in this item's description, we are not able to bid on or order it.
If you believe this to be in error and wish to unblock this item, please contact us.

The item in question is a compilation CD of 1980s girl bands, and one of the bands is named Saboten サボテン. I'm glad that knives aren't on their list of prohibited items, since that would make getting rare Shonen Knife stuff even more difficult — and it would have been impossible to buy my actual, vintage Shonen Knife.

"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:01 am

It’s fascinating to look at a map of the lower Mississippi River (basically, from St. Louis south to the gulf) and see all the places where the state borders deviate from the actual course of the river, because the course of the river has changed so much since those borders were surveyed. There’s one little piece of Kentucky, across the river from New Madrid, Missouri, that is completely detached from the rest of its state.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:39 am

I took my PC to the shop and they uncovered a new vexing problem. Apparently AVG has screwed up my registry to the point where if I download a new executable file, if I double click it then windows 8.1 will say that it cannot find the file. However, if I run in safe mode then the file will run. The RAM of the computer checked out so other than getting a new PC I am out of luck.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby torchsnow » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:20 pm

resop2 wrote:other than getting a new PC I am out of luck.

What the hell? I probably could fix that error in 15 seconds if I could take a look at the registry.

Even if you don't know shit about computers, Windows has a fuckton of tools to fix itself, not to mention all of the 3rd party utilities.

You could even just reinstall Windows which fixes everything automatically for you, or even better, just install the latest version of Windows 10. And for God's sake, stop using an antivirus in 2017*. Windows already is extremely fucking annoying with its own one, you don't need more of that crap to ruin your system even more.

* I'd say you should have *never* used a fucking mountain of crap like an antivirus, even 50 years ago, but *especially* nowadays...
torchsnow
Senior Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project