Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes,the latter.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:17 pm

So maybe important technical information, stuf with links to/discussion of major (particularly Jpop-related) resources, maybe som of the best/most informative discussions of H!P-related issues, really entertaining trolling...
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

Yeah so if anybody recalls any other posts from weeks or years gone by that would merit inclusion...but if not, then maybe, never mind!
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Moh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am

Our fridge stopped cooling last night! Freezer was still cold, though. After checking the internet and every piece in there, my dad found out it's the evaporator fan motor.
Matches up with what we read. Thankfully the replacement part wasn't too expensive.

I'm glad it wasn't the compressor. Those things are like 400 dollars. :?: Better off buying a small fridge for that kinda money.
Moh
Prophet

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 am

I'm glad it worked out OK!

I had the evaporator fan motor go out on mine a few years ago - I found a nearby store that had a replacement motor for a good price, and it didn't take too long to do the work. But physically reaching in to replace the motor was horribly awkward - the kind of thing where you have to turn both hands at completely unnatural angles while lifting the (rather heavy) motor and threading the nuts and washers. :fear:
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 pm

My fridge was misbehaving about a year ago. The motor would run for maybe five seconds, then shut off, and the cycle repeated over and over, but not enough to keep the inside cold. Fortunately, all I needed to do was adjust the temperature control and unplug the fridge for a while, and it went back to functioning normally.

Yesterday I spent several hours defrosting the freezer. I hadn't defrosted it in several years, and it had gotten to the point where I could hardly put anything in it. It's nice having freezer space again. XD
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:12 pm

I need to defrost my second fridge (a 3/4 size early 90s Frostman), and my half-height stand-alone freezer. In a lot of ways, the hardest part is usually moving the stuff I want to keep out of whichever one I'm defrosting, and finding room to put it in the main fridge. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:29 pm

A good part of the reason I decided to do it on Saturday was the fact that I had very few perishables on hand that needed to be kept cold. The freezer was almost empty (except for ice), and the stuff in the fridge was mostly beverages, bread, condiments, and a few vegetables. All I really had to worry about was a frozen pot pie, a package of bologna, and some Spam.

I don't often eat Spam, but I bought a can last weekend because I felt like throwing some fried Spam into my mac and cheese. But I got it at Grocery Outlet, where they often have weird discontinued items or stuff that was packaged for sale in foreign markets. In this case, the Spam had Arabic writing on the label, along with a bilingual warning: "90% PORK! NOT FOR MUSLIMS." I would imagine that Spam is not a huge seller in predominantly Muslim countries, so that might explain why it was being sold at a discount at Grocery Outlet.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:18 pm

At least it didn't say "90% UNIDENTIFIED ANIMAL PARTS!' XD

I try to avoid processed meats these days, but I used to buy various off-brand Spam-knockoffs just to try them out. I got the impression that a lot of them had some rather iffy ingredients (like ground up chicken beaks, or sawdust) that they managed to not mention by name on the label. And most of them made Spam taste pretty good by comparison. (But then again, I used to fry spam with chutney, which pretty much took care of any flavor issues.)
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Starra » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Should be back home in NZ in like 24 hours.

It's 25℃ here in Sydney today, tomorrow it's meant to get to maybe 14℃ where I live in NZ and I'm not home until 6PM, so it'll be about 9℃. Yikes.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Right now, all of those temperatures look good to me. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Starra » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Back in NZ! Still have 2 hours until my connecting flight... The one bad thing about living in a small town, dammit.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Moh » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:39 am

Evaporator fan motor came in yesterday and the fridge is wonderfully cold again. :thumbs-up:

I wish I had more interesting things to talk about. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Postby esm » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:57 am

So the train ride from New Orleans back to Chicago was pretty nice. It was just too damn cold to sleep. I guess I miss the memo about bringing a thick blanket because I was one of the few people without one, of all the people I saw in the train.

The interesting is that I used to think I'm tough and cool for having been on long plane trips alone since I was 15, and that includes one with two layovers that total to like 30+ hours alone on an airport or an airport, plus I don't need to get up and stand for up to like 16 hours... but on the train I was surrounded by people that looked less fit and healthy than I am (mostly because they're older) but have been on long train rides for a while. Like a 64-year-old lady with a bad back across the aisle from me was heading to California after Chicago. There were people that were traveling around the country for a while. It was pretty nice. I tend to get annoyed with people on the plane and airports, but people on the train seemed interesting (less whiny and overall seemed like they could take better care of themselves). There was a girl that was traveling alone through the country. It was really a different traveling experience.

It was definitely comfortable enough to sleep on a regular seat. It was just too cold for me to actually do it for more than like an hour at a time. Still, it wasn't bad for a 19-hr trip. I just kinda died the next day in my bed when I got home. I feel like being on a train was a trip in itself.

There were a lot of scenic portions of the trip. The parts that weren't were still a different experience from seeing them from the road, especially since I was on the top deck of the train. Going through farmlands, you could see so far into the distance. It was nice.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:18 am

I saw an ad for Star Trek: Discovery last night, and it reminded me of a dream I had about twenty years ago, in which a series with that title existed.

In my dream, fearing black helicopters that were following me, I ducked into a store that sold pop culture memorabilia, where they had a lot of t-shirts with images from TV shows of the '70s and '80s. One t-shirt bore the picture of the captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek: Discovery, which (in my dream) was a series that had aired around 1979 but was now largely forgotten. The captain was a woman named Dawn Holliday (IIRC; her first name was Dawn at any rate), and she was played by Eve Plumb! XD

(Real world connections: Dawn Holliday was the name of the character that Cheryl Ladd played on One West Waikiki in the mid-'90s. Eve Plumb, best known as Jan on The Brady Bunch, played the title character in the 1976 TV movie, Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway.)
erilaz

Postby rikkikow » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:46 am

^ Sounds like a good worm hole plot for Twin Peaks. XD
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby Zunu » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 am

^ Twin Nacelles yo.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:27 pm

esm: That sounds like a great train trip, all in all. And perhaps inevitably, it reminded me of this song:

TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Denki » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:57 am

This is the first time I noted the water drop favicon with the "J" inside it. Pretty neat. :)
モーニング娘。'16 ☆ アンジュルム ☆ カントリー・ガールズ ☆ つばきファクトリー
☆ 生田衣梨奈・羽賀朱音 ・横山玲奈・牧野真莉愛 ☆ 佐々木莉佳子・笠原桃奈 ☆
☆ 梁川奈々美 ☆ 和田桜子 ☆ 新沼希空・小野田紗栞 ☆ 山崎夢羽 ☆
Denki
Devotee

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby boinsie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:07 am

^ Zoon did a good job. :) We've had it since ~Feb, I believe. :thumbs-up:
boinsie
Guru

PreviousNext