The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Postby Celedam » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:13 pm

Starra posted…

Starra wrote:Hmm... no Ogawa Rena. She hasn't updated her blog in 10 days either. My guess is that it's related to the Fujii thing somehow. Perhaps she was skipping practice or whatever too but she decided to stay on and has just been given a temporary suspension rather than having been fired, or something. I dunno.

It'll be interesting to see if she performs at the H!P summer cons on Saturday.

viewtopic.php?p=224732#p224732

…and then a few hours later…

Starra wrote:Ogawa Rena is on hiatus until at least the middle of August due to anxiety issues. She apparently developed flu-like symptoms on the 4th and didn't seem to be getting any better despite treatment so they took her to a doctor this past week.
http://www.helloproject.com/news/7347/

Yikes. Hope she's okay.

viewtopic.php?p=224739#p224739

I'm not picking on or accusing Starra in particular, I'm just using this as an example. An example of what I was ranting against when I ranted the other day about speculation, re: Rio's termination. This sort of speculation is just one step away from flat-out rumormongering, and we should be better than this.

On a lighter note, maybe we should start a new thread for members' health issues and the resulting hiatuses and retirements. :P
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Starra » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:20 pm

Eh, my main point was that her lack of blog updates was related to Fujii (which a lot of people had thought). I also prefaced it with "perhaps" and said "I dunno" at the end, so it's not like I thought that that was what actually happened nor that it was the only option.

(I know you said you weren't accusing me, I'm just backing myself up :fear:. The general wota consensus seemed to be similar to what I thought, not many people that I saw were of the mindset that she'd been negatively affect by Fujii this badly. Which says something in and of itself, mind you.)
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Amped » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:26 pm

in an interview, Matsuoka Mayu says she was really surprised about the new transfer system and that a Country Girls member is joining Morning Musume.
https://otocoto.jp/interview/cars-crossroad/
Amped
Priest

Postby boinsie » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:59 pm

^^ His point was that no matter how many qualifiers you preface it with, or how many other people might be thinking it, too, that it's still rumor mongering until we get an official statement.

Personally I think it has it's place (we are a forum for discussion, after all), but that it's unfortunate that rumors generally tend towards the negative side.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Celedam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:07 am

boinsie wrote:[I]t's unfortunate that rumors generally tend towards the negative side.

This, except that I wouldn't call it "unfortunate". I think it's deliberate. I think some people have an appetite for scandal and like to assume the worst about others because it makes them feel better about themselves.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone in particular, and it's certainly not unique to idol fandom (although the "pure" image and pseudo-virginal nature of idols makes idol fandom a bit more prone to it). It's just something I have observed over the years.

(yes, i'm aware of the possible irony/hypocrisy of me saying bad things about other people saying bad things about other people. there's a difference, however. can you spot it?)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby resop2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:39 am

I thought up an interesting name for it if Eripon does another photobook: "Specifically"
resop2
Skeptic

Postby JonCC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:01 am

To this day, I still find it a crying shame that the second Tsunku Club DVD magazine (H!P DVD Mag Vol.36) never got subtitled.
The first one did get subtitled and was pure gold. I rewatch it often.

And while you couldn't really release a new installment of it (for obvious reasons), the format is still great.
Shuffle the H!P members, give them interesting topics and a decent host (Sawayaka Goro or Suzuki Keita would do just fine) to tie it all together.
JonCC

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Amped » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 am

Amped wrote:in an interview, Matsuoka Mayu says she was really surprised about the new transfer system and that a Country Girls member is joining Morning Musume.
https://otocoto.jp/interview/cars-crossroad/

Mezamashi news video of Matsuoka Mayu promoting Morning Musume. '17 during an interview for the CARS 3 movie. She was also asking for some sort collaboration event of MM and Cars.
https://twitter.com/f9f4702990cf48d/sta ... 1072465922
Amped
Priest

Postby Starra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Celedam: Btw, I do understand what you're saying. For the most part I agree with you as well. I definitely don't do it intentionally, but I know I shouldn't do it at all. I think it's just the human brain wanting answers to things and trying to figure out why something happened. Of course, there are a lot of those who are intentionally malicious and do it to damage someone's image, and that I disagree with and I don't think baseless rumours do anyone any good.

For the record, I do feel a bit bad about my post. I didn't really believe it myself, I was just hypothesising. But it came across as me being rude or whatever about Ogawa, and that wasn't my intention. Knowing what we know now, though, I believe the official statement and I feel guilty that I didn't really consider (at least in my post, I'd thought about it on Twitter) that she could've been negatively affected by Fujii's actions.

Also, I do hope she manages to overcome these issues, as hard as they may be to "overcome", as such. If anything I'm grateful that UF are taking mental health seriously nowadays (at least by making the issues public in a way), and I trust that they're actually getting the members proper treatment if they need them (in the cases of Ogawa and Aikawa, at least).
Starra
Prophet

Postby otaku_blue » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm

I'm under the impression that Hello Project's new acting division is going to be similar to E-girls and their members who are sort of like rogue members who don't have a group but act.

So in this way they aren't really active idols but they're members of Hello Project that perform occasionally but are focused on acting.

I think this is great. I can't really imagine Momohime as an actual member in HP but I reckon this will boost their overall professional image.
otaku_blue
Devoted Devotee

Postby JonCC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 pm

75 :名無し募集中。。。@\(^o^)/:2017/07/14(金) 02:11:38.97 0.net
禁断の果実だもん握手はさ
こうなるには分かってた
AKBGは犯罪者に命を狙われハローは精神疾患を出してしまう

The hand-shaking method is kinda forbidden fruit. Today’s situation was pretty predictable. AKB Group members are targets of criminals, and H!P members suffer from mental disorders.

http://momuse.tumblr.com/post/162969940 ... 1-02113897
JonCC

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:23 pm

^ It's also likely that among such a large number of adolescents / young adults, past and present, some will have naturally developing medical issues that begin to show up during said young adulthood (as they tend to do).
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby JonCC » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Handshake events may play a crucial role.
Face it: the majority of humans out there (even as kind and polite as the Japanese) aren't people you want to meet.
Having to do 100+ handshakes over a span of a few hours is exhausting, mentally and physically.

If there were less of them, that would be just fine by me.
Especially how these days their importance for H!P has decreased.

-Oricon doesn't matter anymore
-Handshakes don't work with digital
-Pure music sales can't be UF's main revenue, it just can't (that would be the concerts, the fanclub and goods sales)
-H!P does not do any kind of 'election' like AKB does.

Let them use that time for other things: more TV, live streams,...

I'm fine with mini-lives or talk-events, but I question the continued existence of the pure handshake event.
Speaking just for myself, I actually enjoyed the greater distance between idols and their fans 10-15 years ago.

The whole concept of 'idols you can meet', while undoubtedbly fun in the short term, may not end up being good in the long term.
Last edited by JonCC on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JonCC

Postby Celedam » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

JonCC wrote:-Pure music sales can't be UF's main revenue, it just can't (that would be the concerts, the fanclub and good sales)

And merchandise. Never forget the merchandise. They have a profit margin of a few thousand percent on most of that junk.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Menno » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Make that 1000+ handshakes in one day at the weekend events when they do 3 events in a row. That's even exhausting for the fans, speaking from my own experiences.

The biggest reason why the number of these events are still increasing is not that they are still profitable or that they matter for the Oricon Chart. They do them because these kind of events pull the fans in, without them a lot of the people going to the events will also not come to the concerts or go to the H!P store where the real profits are made. The decline of H!P in the 2nd half of the '00s also had to do with the increase of popularity of idol groups that did do the handshake events.

I would suggest only a small reduction in the number of events, they don't have to do an event every day in the release week. But more importantly, limit the number of handshakes per fan per event, just make it a maximum of 3 times per person with a overall max of max. 300 handshakes. As a compensation for the fans the events can be slowed down a bit. Give the fans 3x 5 seconds instead of 10x 2 seconds. That will already make these events less hectic, for everyone involved (the girls, the staff and the fans). If this would be an issue financially they could also start to sell a limited number of goods directly related to the release before the event.

Another option would be to somehow make all the groups as popular as MM.. The main reason why they don't do as many handshakes as the other groups is simply because the turnout for these events would be too large.
Menno
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ayacho

Postby Starra » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:^ It's also likely that among such a large number of adolescents / young adults, past and present, some will have naturally developing medical issues that begin to show up during said young adulthood (as they tend to do).

This, and I think that the mental health issues we're seeing nowadays were probably always there, they just were never made public because in pretty much every culture you don't talk about even the most basic of mental health problems (though it's different reasons why, especially in Japan compared to the western, English-speaking world).

I personally think the taboo is stupid and think we should be more open to mental issues, since that way we might be able to perhaps understand each other a little bit more, but sadly a lot of people just don't care and are dismissive (acting like you can get over mental disorders just by being happier! etc). But that's another topic that has absolutely nothing to do with idols...
Starra
Prophet

Postby AyuHikaru » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:43 am

I have panic disorder and only a few things really set it off. Heat+crowds can do it pretty easily so I could see handshake events setting girls with anxiety issues off. It's crowded, it's warm, and a bunch of people are going to say what they are going to say about you. Some people reprimand them (which shouldn't be allowed holy shit that's uncalled for) and one person doing that ONCE can set off someone with anxiety every single time there's a handshake event.

We're probably seeing more issues of Anxiety because of the current "Idols you can meet" culture AKB started. It's easier to hide if they don't have to constantly be "on" all the time for handshakes or fan signs or whatever weird thing H!P is doing that makes them constantly talk to fans.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Something's only a disorder if it interferes with normal daily functioning. It's like eating live bugs would freak me the fuck out, but I don't have a eating live bugs disorder, because eating live bugs isn't a part of normal life to begin with. So if some of the girls are feeling anxiety over shaking hundreds of sweaty nasty hands a day and having to pretend to enjoy it, I wouldn't consider that a disorder, it seems pretty normal to me.

If there were less of them, that would be just fine by me.

I might be in the minority, but even at regular cons, I don't much care for autograph/ photo-shot scene, and I much prefer the panel discussions. Same goes for idols, I'd much rather pay for a panel than a weirdly uncomfortable handshake with someone who could be my daughter.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby AyuHikaru » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:58 pm

HUGE difference between being uncomfortable with a part of a job and Anxiety Disorder (Panic Disorder in Maho's case). I'd say their Anxiety attacks absolutely do interfere with a part of their lives and keeps them from doing a part of their job.

My boyfriend doesn't like to drive and tries to avoid it. If I get behind the wheel I could freak out so badly I could kill somebody. Big ol difference.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 pm

I am in no way trying to minimize the situtation of you, Maho or anybody else who has been legitimately diagnosed with a disorder, as opposed to others whose condition is purely speculative.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project